Put Your Skill Development on Steroids
Looking for one-on-one instruction or small group instruction? Private lessons can be scheduled during the time slots found on the calendar for this page.
Whether you are a beginner looking to learn the basics so you can safely enjoy your new kayak, or an experienced kayaker who wants to improve their skills in rough water or learn to roll, our instructors will work with you to create an instructional plan to meet your paddling goals.
All private lessons are led by ACA-certified instructors, and taught according to the standards outlined in the American Canoe Association‘s kayak curriculum.
2 Hour Minimum
Instructor to Participant Ratio
Course Sizes and Cost
Private lessons can be arranged for individuals or small groups of up to five people.
Private instruction starts at $75 per person, for a two-hour class. Depending on your instructional plan, we may schedule a longer session for an additional fee. Travel surcharges may apply for lessons taught off-site.
NOTE: There is a $10 per person discount for groups of 3 or more.
The location for your private lesson will be arranged by your instructor, based on the nature of our course. Most will be run out of our location on the Rocky River in Lakewood, Ohio. However, we can also arrange to meet on-site at your location, or any other public access point.
Upcoming Class Dates
None, just a willingness to challenge yourself and get wet!
14 and over only, please. Participants under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Participants over 16 but under 18 must have a waiver signed by a legal guardian.
Height and Weight Limits
In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5′ and 6’4″ tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
Non-Discriminatory Essential Eligibility Criteria
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.