Guide Training and Certification
41 North is the only local outfitter to offer American Canoe Association (ACA) guide training and certification programs.
Our next program is on Oct 14, 2023 at Kelleys Island, OH. Read below for more info!
Instructor to Participant Ratio
Our guide certification program is divided into two parts: a Trip Leader Training Course and a Trip Leader Assessment.
Trip Leader Training will expose paddlers to the skill-set required for leading groups of paddlers. While these are not teaching awards, trip leaders are expected to demonstrate the ability to provide basic instruction to paddlers, as appropriate, to help them through the environment. The emphasis of the training is on leadership.
The Trip Leader Assessment will include an evaluation of personal skills, leadership, and decision-making. The program relies heavily on scenarios.
Level 2 - Sea Kayak Trip Leader Certification & Assessment (Oct 2023 on Kelleys Island)
Level 3 - Coastal Kayak Touring Trip Leader Certification
This program is for those seeking endorsement to lead others in coastal waters up to 1/2 mile from shore, in waves to 2 ft., winds to 15 knots, and currents to 2 knots.
Click for a detailed description of each component of the program
Course locations vary by program. Most programs take place in the Erie Islands region, 75 minutes from Cleveland and about an hour from the Detroit metro area.
Contact us for details!
UPCOMING CLASS DATES
L2 Kayak Touring Trip Leader Training & Assessment- Oct 14 & 15 @ Kelleys Island, Ohio
* Note: The L2 Kayak Trip Leader Training component can be taken as a stand-alone program. However, it is a prerequisite for participation in the Assessment program.
- All participants must be active ACA members. Membership is $40 annually. Join online here.
- All Levels: Participants must complete the appropriate Trip Leader Training course in order to participate in the Trip Leader Assessment.
- L2 Trip Leader Training: Participants must complete the L2 Kayak Touring Skills Assessment or demonstrate equivalent skills prior to the program
- L3 Trip Leader Training: Participants must complete the L3 Coastal Kayak Skills Assessment prior to the program.
NOTE: A roll is not required to participate in the L3 training, but is required for certification.
Minimum age = 18 years old.
Height and Weight Limits
Paddlers should possess their own gear, appropriate to their height and weight.
Non-Discriminatory Essential Eligibility Criteria
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.