Paddle to the Point
Spend a Day On the Erie Shore
This paddle takes you from Sandusky Bay to Marblehead’s Bay Point for a picnic lunch on a stretch of beach accessible only by boat
About 7 nautical miles
6 hours (approximately 4 hours of paddling)
Guide to Participant Ratio
What You'll See
The Johnson’s Island Confederate Prison Camp and Cemetery; a repurposed quarry that once provided stone for the breakwaters of Cedar Point, Lorain, and Cleveland, but now serves as the one of the area’s most unique marinas and waterfront communities; coastal dunes and undeveloped sand beaches; the roller coasters of Cedar Point across the bay; wildlife including Great Blue Heron; egrets; sandpipers; and yellow-bellied flycatchers.
Conditions to Expect
This paddle takes place entirely within Sandusky Bay. Wind and boat traffic can kick up a chop, but rarely more than 1ft.
Single or tandem sea kayak and equipment (paddle, life-jacket, whistle, spray skirt, and white safety light).
This tour meets at the Dempsey Access boat launch in Lakeside, Ohio.
No experience necessary. This tour is appropriate for beginners who are comfortable on the water and accustomed to moderate exercise.
14 and over only, please. Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Participants ages 12 and over may participate as the front paddler in a tandem with an adult.
Height and Weight Limits
In order to ensure your comfort and safety, participants should be between 5′ and 6’4″ tall and 95 lbs to 235 lbs.
Non-Discriminatory Essential Eligibility Criteria
In order to participate in this program, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other program participants.
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.